Everyone knows that a bright, white smile looks young, beautiful, and healthy. However, some people may not know what causes stains to develop that dull or yellow tooth color. You want your smile to look its best, so try avoiding some of the following items which can darken your pearly whites:
- Food & Drink: Beverages like coffee, tea, and red wine contain chromogens, which are intense color pigments that attach to tooth enamel, darkening its color. Foods like berries can also produce a staining effect.
- Tobacco: The chemicals of tar and nicotine found in this drug can stain teeth. Tar does so because it is dark in color. Nicotine, in contrast, is colorless unless it combines with oxygen, then it can create yellow stains.
- Age: Over time, the enamel protecting and surrounding your teeth starts to thin. This thinness means that more of the yellow dentin tissue underneath can show.
- Injury: If you have experienced oral trauma, then the affected teeth may respond by laying down more dentin tissue, darkening tooth color.
- Medication: The medications of antihistamines, antipsychotics, high blood pressure pills, and chemotherapy have all been known to darken tooth color.
Avoiding the items on the above list can prevent unsightly stains from developing in your smile. However, not everything can be avoided, which is why Dr. Michael P. Gaudio provides teeth whitening procedures at our dental office. Call us today at 203-265-3355 if you would like to learn more about this cosmetic service.